Monday, April 11, 2005

my body is schizo

I discovered today that my body works differently when it takes ballet class than it does when it performs or even rehearses. Rico Labayen taught company class today and I was a bit out of sorts with that experience. There's a lot of breathing and emotional expressiveness in his classes that I normally don't do when I take class because for me class is the basics - fixing my placement, working on technique. That sort of stuff. I don't emote in class. Well, I emote a little, but not the amount that Rico requires. Also he wants us to dance, meanwhile, I'm working on my technique. Tsk tsk, little robot.

Then, I rehearse a piece or I perform it onstage and then, I dance. Figured this out because we learned a little of his choreography after class and everything was 100% better.

Anyway, I was just really amused by that little discovery. And I'm itching to do triple pirouettes and grand jetes again.

--

Note to new readers:

From this point backward, this blog mainly functioned as a personal blog, so the archives are mainly personal thoughts. Some entries however are still about dance, because I was dancing full time back then, so if you think those might be interesting, feel free to keep reading the archives. This is just to explain the change in tone. Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Joelle
August 31, 2009

1 comment:

joelle said...

i blogged about the movie some time ago. anyway, that sounds cool, sige pag isipan mo pa, i wanna hear more :)