Tuesday, August 02, 2005

next flight out

There's a survey somewhere about the Philippines being one of the top 10 peoples who love living in their country. Even if I wasn't asked on this survey, I agree that I do love living here. I know how to commute virtually anywhere, I know where to go, I know what to do, I know what to wear each day, I know what's good to eat and where I can look if I'm craving for something new.

I've never been the type of person to want to go somewhere else to live for the rest of my life. I have relatives who have been obsessed with the Great American Dream, and I couldn't relate at all. Only a couple of years ago, when faced with the prospect of living in the province, not out of the country, but certainly far from Manila, I would break out in hives. Yet I've been recently considering living in Europe for the rest of my life.

I wasn't right away taken with the idea, not very. Until now, I keep thinking, "What the hell am I going to do there?" Recently though, I've found a promising study program at Roehampton, in the UK and I was decidedly excited over the very idea of it - for the first time since I started considering I wanted to live in Europe.

It's a Master's in Philosophy in Dance Studies, with the kind of curriculum I want and everything I want to study. It'll probably be three years to take it, but whoa, what a cool three years that will be. It'll also cost the earth and I have no idea where to get a scholarship that doesn't require you to return home and spread the love after you graduate.

Still, I have reservations and all that. What if I'll hate it? I have to remember to counter that with "What if I won't?" It's all a matter of perspective.

I'm keeping my chin up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think going abroad always benefits you, widens your perspective, etc. Europeans do it all the time. but i still want to end up back home after a few more years, especially if a performing career doesn't happen. i'd rather be a teacher at home.