Monday, July 04, 2005

prolific little me

I couldn't blog here last week, so I'm obviously not prolific here. But I have news. I am writing my memoirs.

(Or is it I'm writing my memoir? Was this ever taught to me and I was daydreaming or was this something people just assumed I would get through context? Bleah.)

Anyway, I've been structuring my thesis the last few weeks and that's been coming along well because I have good ideas already for the next two chapters, I just need more sources to back up the stuff I have already. Right now, I'm doing histories: first chapter after the intro will be a background of Philippine Dance before and when the Spaniards came in and made themselves at home. My point here is Filipinos have in their nature a passion for dance and we did so before any influence from the outside world, and later how their love of dance evolved under the new government. From there, in the next chapter, I will discuss the history of ballet, because it more or less evolved during the same time. Also, the next course of Philippine history would be the American period and that's how Ballet came to our country, so before I go into that, I will talk about the history of ballet all the way to how it came to the Americans and how it developed in their country. There are a lot of interesting things there that are useful to me.

So since I'm writing a lot of histories, I keep looking at my own history of dance. I realize that I want to write it. I've been a long time thinking I didn't dance as much or as well as I could have and that made me really unhappy the last few years that I've been dancing. Now that I'm starting to write my memoirs, I realize more and more that it is not the case. And I'm understanding myself, my love for ballet, my relationship with my father, a lot better.

I don't know if I'll ever publish when I'm done, but I do plan to finish writing it. Whenever that is. I don't want to think that my dancing days are over, but this period in my life (since starting work on my memoirs, I've been thinking a lot about the periods in my life), not dancing full time and writing my thesis, seems like the best time to write the story of my life. Well, my dancing life, at least.

I may post some excerpts here if I feel like it. Most of it will be on LJ, under lock and key. Lucky you with an LJ account.

No comments: