Tuesday, July 27, 2004

My favorite TV show

I'm addicted to Couples Fear Factor.  I'm not a fan of Fear Factor at all, but I started watching Couples Fear Factor the same reason I watch Race to the Altar and the first season of Temptation Island: to see the couples fight on TV.  It's mean, I know, but I thought it was really funny how they disappoint each other in public.  After a while, I do feel bad for them, especially if they look like they would have been okay as a couple if only they kept away from Reality TV.

Now, if I started to watch for the fighting, what keeps me there is finding particular couples I like the relationships of and I root for them.  I'm serious.  If I didn't have such a busy and fulfilling career, I'd start feeling sorry for my single ass, but I do find joy in the relationships of other people.  I liked three couples from CFF: Jim and Melissa (which I feel was a default thing because Jim is this big, bemuscled, white - well, okay, pinkish tan - demi-god and Melissa is this hispanic-looking, perky girl, and gee, who would that remind me of?), Adam and Meg, and my favorite couple James and Meghan.  Jim and Melissa were a power couple who never fought and weren't bummed with each other when they didn't win an event, though it was nice to watch them celebrate when they did win.  I also like them because when they got eliminated, Melissa said she felt more secure about her relationship with Jim because Fear Factor proved that they worked very well together and they could face anything.  Lucas likes them because he thinks the boy is "Pogi." 

Adam and Meg are the couple that fight the most and yet they win almost every event.  They were the power couple you love to hate, and wondered why they were a couple at all, until a girl from another couple said she hated Adam, and Meg frowned at her and said, "Hate's a strong word..."  I liked that even if she was arguing with him all the time (she was flipping him the finger after one event - that they won), she would defend him right away. 
I realize I don't even like it when the couples fight.  It becomes too real, and I feel really bad for them.  Like there was this one couple where the girl was actually much stronger than the guy and he would like let go or give up or drop her too early or something and she would be like "I don't know what to say," when he asks her if she's disappointed in him.  I'm wondering if they're still together right now.

My favorite Fear Factor couple is James and Meghan.  They won only one event and it was just too funny how James was the weak link of the two when Meghan is like the personification of Bubbles the Power Puff Girl.  Like, they were trying to finish this milkshake made of maggots and chicken tongues (EEEEW!!!!!) and they lost because at the bottom of the glass he threw up (though Meghan did admit she was only pretending to drink her share, hahahaha).  And he had to retrieve ten chicken feet with his mouth from a box where Meghan was comfortably lying with around 400 rats and in a separate interview, he talks about how he hated when Meghan used to have rats for pets and Meghan is beside him, giggling.  A lot of the stunts, they were lagging behind because he was swimming too slowly or he would throw up right away.  And he does throw up a lot.  I only saw them fight once, and it wasn't even a real fight.  Anticipating a stunt, James says "I think I'm going to throw up."  And Meghan snaps at him to shut up.  But that was it.

Even if he does seem like the kulelat one, I can see why she's with him.  He says the funniest things, without trying to be funny.  I mean, he's kidding, but his face is very deadpan that if you weren't paying attention, you would miss it.  He had a real special one while Adam and the girl who hated him were fighting; Adam retaliated to her "I hate Adam because he's so fake" with a potshot at her fake boobs.  While Adam and Meg were doing the stunt, the girl was ranting about how Adam said if he won the money for that stunt, which was 25 thousand dollars, he would buy Meg fake boobs.  Camera focuses on James, who's busy watching the stunt but says, "If I won 25 thousand dollars, I'd get fake boobs."  I couldn't stop laughing.

Meghan is pretty witty, as well.  While waiting their turn for a stunt, Joe Rogan is talking to the couples and asking James if he's bummed that he hasn't won anything yet.  Meghan butts in and tells James, "Hey, you were a winner when you met me."  And everybody is like "Aaaaaw..."

I watch this show every Sunday, even if I know who's going to win the million.  Meghan and James, by the way, make it to the final but lose to Jackson and Monica, the girl with the fake boobs who hates Adam.  Still, I was so proud, and happy that whatever episode they show, I know that my favorite couple will be on it. 

Unlike Race To The Altar, which I will stop watching (not that I watch regularly) because they eliminated my favorite couple on that show, Chris and Cindy.  But it ended really nicely for me.  They started out to be a couple that was fighting all the time also, but I realized it was only because she was worried about what her parents will think when they're watching them on TV - mostly because they had to share a room and Cindy's parents were rather conservative. 

Their biggest fight was when the girls were taken to see the Chippendales and Cindy refused to go in and she freaked out about whether Chris would do the same thing in her position.  When she asked him, he told her she was overreacting and she got so angry at that.  In that same episode, they were eliminated and they were shot in their room talking about, not their elimination, but about their fight.  He tells her she knows he doesn't care about going to strip clubs and she says she does know and she's sorry and he tells her how much she means to him, etc.  And he says he can't wait to marry her and she says, well, why don't they, since they were already in Vegas anyway.  And they did.  The show even took footage of the wedding.  I don't think Race to the Altar is the coolest TV show in history, but this is the coolest way to end an episode where they eliminate your favorite couple.

I swear, if I didn't have such a busy and fulfilling career, I'd start feeling sorry for my single ass.

No comments: