Wednesday, November 10, 2004

hey friends... watch me dance... please...

There's a scene in Tito Gener's Isang Bagong Bituin (which he has yet to finish choreographing) wherein Mama Joel and I get married. We're just a prop in the lead character's monologue/dream sequence - she has to choose between love and a ballet career, and we're standing in the corner as one of the things she wants to do and is torn about. In the piece before that, she dances with a gauzy cloth; the cloth is set aside for the next dance. Mama Joel and I walk in during the chorus ("Kailan maghihintay ang walang hanggan...") and walk off again. We wait at the side of the studio where the cloth is. Mama Joel picks it up and says we should use this as a veil. I told him, "You wear it." He was extremely pleased and I was extremely amused.

I'm just announcing in case there are any takers, Isang Bagong Bituin will premiere next week at the Cultural Center of the Philippines Main Theatre. Shows are slated at 8pm on November 18, 19 & 20 and at 3pm on November 20 and 21. Included in the programme are Classical Symphony, Tzigane and David Campos Cantero's Carmina Burana. You can get tickets at half price if you buy yours from the dancers (like me, for example).

(Actually, I think it was an incentive thing for us to sell tickets; they'll give it to us at half price, we sell them at full and then we get to keep our half. But, like I've said a million times, I'm not dancing for the money. And anyway, it might be easier to get my friends to watch if they knew they were getting bargain tickets. Right, friends?)

No comments: