Thursday, December 09, 2004

...and suddenly I found how wonderful a sound can beeeeee...

I was working on my book and fleshed out Maria - I gave her a talented singing voice, songwriting skills, just the right amount of flamboyance and an artistic eye.

This is where she may depart from Waya. I originally wanted her to plan to put together a multi-media one woman show about life, love and women. Based on what Waya wanted to do, once upon a time (do you remember wanting to do this, Way?). Anyway, since Waya did want to do something like that, I thought it might be too weird that my story would be not a creative making of my imagination, and just a mirror of Waya's life and what kind of sick, crazy person am I to plagiarize my friend's life and pass it off as fiction. So scratch that. I hope that Waya does end up doing that multi-media one woman show, though. I still believe it rocks.

So I took the entire theatre persona off Maria and wondered what to do with her. She has to find a way to move on from her cheating boyfriend dying of SARS and has to immerse herself in something. I didn't want it to be singing right away, as music was very close to her life with Jaime, so it has to be something else. It got me thinking, if I were a rockstar girlfriend, what kind of skills would I have? (Op, walang hihirit ng di kanais nais, baka mabatukan ko kayo...)

I realize that I took a lot of photographs of my rockstars, and therefore decided that Maria should be skilled at this as well. I figure this is a good idea as the chronology of my story was starting to take shape. And then I realize that I was turning Maria into Lala. Sort of.

I still want Maria to be more Waya. Not exactly Waya, but I want to be reminded of her more than anybody else. Another problem I have with that is Maria is angsting a whole lot in this book and while I want Maria to be more Waya, I don't want people to be reading this book and assuming that Waya is also a loopy, angry, unreasonable wreck. So, I'm leaning towards veering away from Maria as Waya. Ah, decisions, decisions.

I guess I can just do whatever is necessary to Maria and hope that if ever this gets made into a movie like I originally planned, Waya will star in it and will be as brilliant as I know she would be.

I have to go out and study female lead singers of bands more. Something may be totally out of whack here, that I don't realize. And I thought writing this book was going to be easy. Grr.

On a related note, I decided to nix the idea of posting my chapters on LJ or anywhere online. But you'll be hearing from me soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SARS? Isn't that a little dated? just a thought.

marga

joelle said...

the time is set in 2002. i'm putting pop culture stuff in like fpj is denying that he's running for president, kris aquino is happy in a relationship with joey marquez, etc. the story ends with people worrying that bird flu will wipe out this generation. i love it!

Anonymous said...

ah, so it's a period piece! can't wait to read it!

marga