Tuesday, December 07, 2004

"on this page, you'll see a little girl giggling at a hippopotamus..."

I put Frou Frou on the CD player today and two songs into the CD, Jacqui asks me, "What's this you're listening to?" "Frou Frou," I reply. "She's French." Jacqui nods. After the third song, I said, "You want to listen to something?" She doesn't say anything. After the fourth song, the music turns into Incubus.

This reminds me of the Veto in Empire Records. If you haven't seen the movie, they're a bunch of kids who work in a record store and they get to practice their Veto: if someone in the store plays music that even one of them can't stand, they sound off an alarm (a police siren complete with lights) that stops the music and opens the CD player so that you can change the CD. In the movie, it was usually Mark (Ethan Embry) who got vetoed because his death metal grated on everybody else. High Fidelity the movie reminds me of the Veto in Empire Records as well.

Anyway, my sister has recently been falling in love with music that I had been in love with for a long time, music that she had been ignoring while I listen to them, music that she only discovers on her own when I have started to listen to other stuff. This includes, chronologically, Incubus' S.C.I.E.N.C.E., the song "Night and Day," and Alice Peacock's album. Now, she listens to these like she had discovered them by herself and I had no idea what they were about. I doubt she'll ever feel the same way about Frou Frou, but then she always surprises me.

Sisters. You can't live without them and you can't stuff them back into your mother.

No comments: