Monday, December 13, 2004

more zen, you can almost swim in it

I'm not mad at my Research professor anymore.

No, she did not suddenly have a change of heart and fell in love with my thesis topic. I merely sat in my class and listened to her and found myself agreeing with most of the things she discussed.

This is another thing that bugged me last week: I agree with her on everything she says in class except for what she had to say about my thesis proposal. It got me eventually thinking, was I just being too defensive about what she said, being too overprotective over something I was obsessed with the last half year? It could very well be that.

With that in mind, I went back to class today and since we weren't discussing my thesis, I found myself agreeing with her again. And today, she talked about positions. She says it's very important to be clear on your position, so that you can defend it well. And she also said that other people may question what you want to do, but as long as you know what you want to do, what other people want you to do becomes less important. My eyes were super going wide at this point.

She then relates a story that happened to her recently. She's writing this paper and her old college prof told her, "Nobody's interested in that topic!" And her inner reaction was to laugh and think "Maybe not to you, but it's interesting to me and it will be interesting to other people." This was because her prof was looking at the Music aspect while my prof was more interested in the Philippine Studies aspect. Funny how the universe operates.

My current topic -- Performing the Pas De Deux: Translations of Ballet in Philippine Dance -- is still interesting to me. I'm in fact falling in love with it more and more. I'm keeping it awhile.

No comments: