Thursday, December 16, 2004

happy birthday, Caramel Appleby

I bought a birthday gift for my supergodchild today. It's her birthday on Saturday, she's turning three years old and she has conversations with people where she actually completes her sentences. I got her a big Incredibles pillow and purple slippers with Elastigirl on them; I actually wanted to give her more stuff but I was not satisfied by the selection on hand. Will get better Christmas gift, mental note. I had the entire package wrapped at the giftwrapping section in Robinson's Galleria.

It's so funny, that small area. It's the busiest area in the store and there are only six people working it. They all look like they'd rather be somewhere else. I don't understand why, I love wrapping gifts. The only reason why I didn't wrap this one is I didn't have time to. But I like wrapping and folding and taping and admiring my work. Or is that just me? I was thinking if I ever needed to take a menial minimum wage job, whether here or in some foreign country, wrapping gifts would be on top of my list.

There are a lot of things I do well that I hardly do anymore. Like baking. I can make really good chocolate crinkles. Which explains why I hate eating them (some people, like me, get sick of what they're baking/cooking while they're baking/cooking them and get too umay to eat them when they're done. I think it has something to do with the constant exposure to the smell, which is why I can't stand the smell and taste of dark chocolate. Ah, cést la vie). I was thinking I should try rediscovering things that I like doing and I'm good at instead of worrying about things that I can't control. And I heard from other friends, who had recently discovered baking, that it can be quite therapeutic. And since it's Christmas season, I have places for my baked goods to go, instead of my belly.

Not that I would eat them in the first place. Me, Ms Salty Girl, who needs to be guilt-tripped to eat her mother's apple pie and chocolate cake.

Anyway, I bought my supergodchild her birthday gift and I wasn't able to watch her open it because I am coming down with a flu or something and don't want her to catch my germs. She looked so happy to see me, then so disappointed to see me leave that I wanted to cry. On my way home, Appleby texted me that the precious tore into my gift and loves them so much that even if the Elastigirls slippers were a size too big, she put them on and clomped around the house.

I wish I had seen that. Aaaaaah, I miss my Caramel!

I miss her mother too. I'm going to kill this virus and plan the best Ninang day ever.

No comments: