Tuesday, February 01, 2005

gypsy girl in her element

I learned Tzigane today. I have actually already started learning Tzigane a couple weeks ago, but we hadn't gotten around to learning the rest of the dance. Today, we went through the entire thing so many times that it would be impossible for me not to remember what comes next after whatever. I sometimes wish there were an easier system for me to remember dances, but I don't even know what system I currently use. That system is flawed, as there are gaps in my memory (I'm always "What's next? What's next???") and I really have to concentrate. I think I tend to worry about what's next more than I worry that I'm doing the dance properly.

But that's only when I learn the dance. When I know the dance, finally, I'm not as praning. Like I had a hell of a time learning Vinta the first time but when I knew it, I loved it. Now, I'm not loving it as much again because I have to learn a different part. I'm hoping it gets easier.

By the way, Tzigane is a pas de deux that's supposed to be a tricks showcase of the company's flashiest dancers. Choreographed by Tom Pazik, it was first danced in PBT by Lisa Macuja and Osias Barroso Jr (long before they left and formed Ballet Manila). It's currently performed by Kit and Ron, and in the upcoming shows, by Kit and Alvin. I'm only learning it so that Alvin will have a partner to practice with while Kit is dancing it with Ron.

I don't mind if I never get to perform it onstage, I like the challenge of learning. Well, actually, I wish I knew it already so that I can just have fun rehearsing it. So it's more I like the challenge of being able to do these flashy tricks and leaps and turns and lifts. Without worrying about "What's next?"

No comments: