Wednesday, February 09, 2005

my sala costume, aka the supposed wedding dress

full length:

The photo is rather blurry because it was taken by my sister with my 3650 and not a real camera so the resolution kinda sucks and my face looks like I have the mumps. But you can see the dress in its entirety here. Check it out, it's got lace sleeves and a lace overwrap over the entire top - it's so pretty, and petticoats under the full skirt and, my favorite, a train.

This ballet, Mantones de Manila, is an autobiography of the choreographer asides from a showcase of different settings of rural Filipinos who like to dance. There are three sections of the ballet: Sala, where four giddy dalaga Filipinas dance in a traditional Filipino living room while preparing for the wedding of their friend, Tony Fabella's tribute to Alice Reyes and his time spent with the early Ballet Philippines; Piging, where couples attend a party and dance the polka, tango, and a fast waltz, Tito Tony's tribute to Philippine folk dance; and Entablado, where Tito Tony dresses everyone up in tutus and boasts of our aptitude for classical ballet, representing his time making ballets with PBT. In Sala, the steps are more neo-classical/modern-y, with more emphasis on body movements (contracts and releases) and arm gestures than leg movements. Whatever leg movements there are exist to play with and display the long, flowing, floor-length skirt. Just a little backgrounder so that y'all won't be wondering what I'm doing dancing in a dress like this.

closer

Check out the detail of lace on the neckline, the sleeves, the hem of the bodice and the parts of the skirt beside the purple ribbon that line the sides of the skirt. Each dress has a different color per dancer. There's a nice blue one that actually fits me better but I was being generous because Tasha has a slightly bigger build than me and the blue one is bigger than the purple one, and so on. I'm also taken with the headdress, bunches of pink chiffon sewn together to look like flowers, framed by random beads.

view from the top

This pic is just here because I think I look pretty in it. And look at my eyelashes. I think God didn't give me eyelashes because I'd be too pretty if He did and it would upset some balance in the world. (Haha, kapal!)

I don't think I'd wear something like this when I get married, though. I'd probably show more skin. And a veil that falls to the floor. Knowing me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you could always do a Betazoid wedding---everyone naked. i've contemplated it myself...

marga

joelle said...

er... what's a Betazoid?

Anonymous said...

hahahaha...it's a Star Trek TNG thing. People from Betazed, Betazoids, get married naked. An admirable custom, don't you think?

marga

joelle said...

hmm, that's not what i meant when i said i'd show some skin. i'm really a big prude deep down. don't like showing off my little cave. and i'm sure i wouldn't like to see most of my guests in all their glory as well. i'd be turning my head a lot! :D

Anonymous said...

but such lovely symbolism, it would say, we have no secrets between us, we share each other's entire being. but if i had guests at this wedding, i wouldn't make everyone go naked. just me and the groom.

of course, since i'm probably never getting married, you can rest easy, you'll never be forced to view my naked ass, haha.

exhibitionist marga

joelle said...

i'd think the fact that we'd be showing each other we have no secrets between us and we share each other's entire being every night after for the rest of our lives will be enough. hehe.

marga, i miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

pero iba na yung sinabi mo before God and all your friends and family. so are you saying you wouldn't come to my wedding if i was naked?

:-D miss you too!

marga