Friday, August 27, 2004

achieving perspective

I may never dance Juliet and even if I do, the importance of dancing Juliet has definitely diminished (what with my supposed Romeo making strange career changes). Seemingly connected, my new crush on Angel has also sorta diminished. Not because of what Erica said to me about him that somebody said to her. It's a more idyllic thing. It's like I was reeled in because of R&J and what it stood for, etc. I wanted to dance Juliet because of the range of emotion she portrays. And I would have loved to dance with that ill-fated Romeo (no, not Angel), it would have been very realistically emotional. Watching Angel do Romeo stood for that because he is like Angel in many ways - their dancing, their approaches to their roles, their boyishness, their slightly stocky at times built. And so, my crush on Angel happened. By extension. So when what it stood for disappoints you, the crush sort of goes away as well.

But I love this photo. If how I feel about Romeo and Juliet can be encapsulated in one image, it would be exactly this.

This was used as publicity posters in New York buses (or subways? eep, I forget) for the 2000 ABT May - July season. It's supposed to be Romeo and Juliet at the crypt, one about to die, one about to awaken. Which is strange because unlike Pazik's choreography (which is what my company does), Macmillan's crypt scene does not have Romeo and Juliet lying together at any time, except when they're both dead. And Romeo is never shirtless at any point in the ballet.

Not that I'm complaining. Aaah, such a pretty man.



Hey! The actual poster can be viewed on Angel's website (which is en Espagnol, haaaaay, what a turn on). When you get there, just click on Galeria on the menu and scroll down for Portadas. In the poster, you get to see a nippy! Shempre it got me all hot and bothered, how embarassing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Jo, you were never one to object to the sight of a shirtless man. How does that song go again? "Freak topless moron...". Angel don't look like a moron though, he looks very...able

Lala

joelle said...

hey, i DID object to the freak topless moron. not all shirtless men are yummy. unlike our fine specimen above ;P hi la!