Monday, August 23, 2004

"If happiness could jump and turn, it would be Angel Corella."



That was a quote from a review of his performance a few years ago and I wish I had thought of it first. I think I like Angel Corella so much because he's the kind of dancer I want to be. Of course, I don't think I'd ever get anywhere near his technique, no matter how centered my turns are and how high I jump. But I work hard, as he works hard (in Variety and Virtuosity, while some dancers were being interviewed onstage, you can see him flying around in the background, practicing his manege. His dancing is perfect, but he's still practicing his manege! Then again, perhaps that's why his dancing is perfect).

Also, and more importantly, he's not all that content with perfect technique, he's concerned about the entire performance. Here's something he said about his approach to his character when he was interviewed for Giselle:

"I don't cry as Albrecht, but playing him is very difficult emotionally. Some people see Albrecht as a cabron, a cad, just toying with Giselle. I can't play him that way. I think he is in love with her, but he is trapped: by his social position, by his life.

"That, to me, is very real. And I think it is the reality that makes the audience connect with the character. All the technique, all their virtuosity makes an impression. But it is being real that counts."

That's how I see dance, how I want to dance - good execution of the steps and a lot of soul into what I'm dancing. So I guess, I'm really looking at Angel Corella as a kindred spirit. Not that I really need a reason to be fawning over him and watching Romeo and Juliet everyday. Hee.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, your crush looks endearing with floppy bangs and facial hair...sigh

Anonymous said...

Yet another anonymous post by Lala

joelle said...

hahaha! i'm laughing at your "another anonymous post" post. such a witty offspring :) he's cute no? but i heard something about him today that's disturbing. will tell you live. love you *hug*