Wednesday, October 06, 2004

"It has nothing to do with me."

This is why I love Spike on Buffy The Vampire Slayer. And how I've always imagined it should be for a hundred year old vampire to love, to really love, somebody. We should all be so lucky.

SPIKE
You listen to me. I’ve been alive a bit longer than you and dead a lot longer than that. I’ve seen things you couldn’t imagine and done things I’d prefer you didn’t. I don’t exactly have a reputation for being a thinker. I follow my blood which doesn’t exactly rush in the direction of my brain so I make a lot of mistakes. A lot of wrong bloody calls. A hundred plus years and there’s only one thing I’ve ever been sure of. You.

(He reaches up to touch her face but she turns away.)

Hey, look at me. I’m not asking you for anything. When I say I love you, it’s not because I want you, or because I can’t have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I’ve seen your kindness and your strength. I’ve seen the best and the worst of you and I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You are a hell of a woman.

(Tears stream down her cheeks as she stares down at him kneeling before her.)

You’re the one, Buffy.

BUFFY
I don’t want to be the one.

SPIKE
I don’t want to be this good-looking and athletic. We all have crosses to bear.

(She smiles a little in spite of herself.)

You get some rest now.

(He stands and heads for the door.)

I’ll check in before first light. You can decide how you want—

BUFFY
Spike?

(He stops and turns back.)

Could you stay here?

SPIKE
Sure.

(He shrugs out of his coat and tosses it on a rumpled sofa.)

That diabolical torture device, the comfy chair. Do me fine.

BUFFY
No. I mean… here. Will you just hold me?

(He nods and crosses over to the bed, sitting down with his back against the headboard. He wraps his arms around her and she curls up against him and drifts off to sleep.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

melt, melt, melt.

-kitch