Tuesday, October 19, 2004

light like butterscotch

A few weeks ago, I had been able to tell that I wasn't in love, that I hadn't been in love in a long time. This realization brought in many different things into my life - I had stopped waiting, I had reestablished priorities, I had set a new course for myself that I feel good about. No more looking back at the past, but no grand designs of the future. Not yet anyway. I am happy.

Woke up, it was a chelsea morning, and the first thing that I heard
Was a song outside my window, and the traffic wrote the words
It came a-reeling up like christmas bells, and rapping up like pipes and drums

Oh, won’t you stay
We’ll put on the day
And we’ll wear it ’till the night comes

I walked in at 4:30 this morning and bump into my dad getting ready to go jogging. We have a Talk. Not quite the birds and the bees; much too late for the birds and the bees, but along those lines. It is too strange for a parent to want a discussion about your lovelife. It is stranger when said parent is benchpressing, um, I'm not sure how much but suffice to say, he used a lot of weights. It lasted all throughout his warm-up, he let me sleep while he jogged, then he woke me up again when he got back. I sat through this entire thing uncharacteristically without drama, just clarifying things that needed to be clarified. I nodded mostly. When he saw how sleepy I was, he let me back into bed.

Woke up, it was a chelsea morning, and the first thing that I saw
Was the sun through yellow curtains, and a rainbow on the wall
Blue, red, green and gold to welcome you, crimson crystal beads to beckon

Oh, won’t you stay
We’ll put on the day
There’s a sun show every second

Normally, I would be very livid or drained or depressed or suicidal after such a talk with my father. Instead, I'm singing this song.

Woke up, it was a chelsea morning, and the first thing that I knew
There was milk and toast and honey and a bowl of oranges, too
And the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses

Oh, won’t you stay
We’ll put on the day
And we’ll talk in present tenses

No comments: