Thursday, October 28, 2004

The Jabrian

I saw an old friend the other night. I hadn't seen him since the last time I saw his band play and that was too long ago. He's a drummer and where the joke "Marci likes Drummers!" came from. Not that I (or Marci) actually liked him that way; it's strange to explain our relationship online, especially when he could read this. So we stick to seeing him again the other night as some of the things he said to me really made me think.

After the basic pleasantries, he said to me, "You're so thin!!! I almost didn't recognize you!"

What it made me think: Am I that thin that people don't recognize me? I got that from two other people just this same week. Plus, another friend overheard him saying that to me and told me after, "Pero, payat ka nga. I want to feed you, that's how thin you are."

It also made me think, was I that fat before that nobody can recognize me now? It's too strange.

Later, he asked me what I've been doing and I said I've been dancing and he said, "I can see that, you're so sexy."

What it made me think: Pick up line ba yon? Haha, kapal.

Then, he asked me, "How's Caloy?"

What it made me think: This particularly stunned me because I kinda forgot that people not only knew about me and Caloy but it impressed them enough for them to remember. You know what I mean - this friend of mine isn't that close to me that he should care whom I'm going out with, we never talked about it, I never told him about it, he never asked me about it, all prior to this asking me about it. My relationship with Caloy was never part of my friendship with this friend, so it never occurred to me that he should care whether I was still seeing him or not. Apparently, he did care.

It's actually not important, his asking. It's probably just small talk or he just thought of asking it out of the blue. Or maybe his sentence prior to really was a pick up line and he's doing some background checking. Hahaha, I slay myself.

I told him, "Caloy and I are done." He said, "Oh, I'm sorry." Then, he smiled and said, "He's old." I laughed and he said, "It's his loss, now you're all sexy!"

What it made me think: Nako, pick up line nga!

We watch my friend's jazz band (separately, I was sitting with my other friend who wanted to feed me) and after that set, he decided to go home. He says bye to me and tells me, "If I can tell you honestly, I miss the old you. You're sexier now, but I think you were more beautiful then. So gain a few, why don't you?"

What it made me think: I always thought that I was sexier when I had more flesh and prettier now that I have less on my cheeks. But beauty is really in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

The next day, I am taking class and watching my moves and technique in the mirror. And I notice that my arm and shoulder muscles are more ripply now that there's not fat in residence, and I think, damn, I'm so thin. I am mesmerized, watching them move and I tell myself, wow, ang sexy.

Jabrianed, once again. Haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, i don't think people should ever comment on other people's looks except in the positive. kahit ba, masyado kang payat or masyado kang mataba, dapat tahimik na lang sila. but to express an opinion na you were better when you were less this or more that, it's so rude. kasi malay ba nila, happy kang super payat or ako happy na 40 lbs. overweight? in the end the only opinion that matters is yours.

maybe i've been here too long.

marga

joelle said...

Aw, I don't find that rude, I take it as concern. From people like you, I mean, my friends. I know shrinking down to skin and bones ain't exactly healthy. I was more bothered by the Jabrian's opinion that I was prettier with more flesh.

Ah, but guess what! I have to lose more weight!!!!