Tuesday, January 04, 2005

goodbye, sex and the city!

In my Here's To 2004 meme five posts ago, I failed to include Sex And The City as one of my favorite television programs of the year. I guess it must have been because I was trying to think back to all of 2004 and didn't think that the present favorite show was applicable. Also, I guess I must have been watching this show so religiously that it doesn't seem a favorite of the year, more like a favorite for the last six years.

I really feel bad about it ending, I really do. But I suppose they had to quit while they were ahead, most importantly because you know what I noticed while watching the last few episodes? They all look so old. I'm serious. Even Steve looks old. And I think they buckled down and gave Mr. Big a name finally because he looks really old, not quite the suave Mr. Big that became such a paragon over the years anymore. Then again, they all look good even when old (I'm talking about the girls) and Miranda more so now than she did at the start of the show, so maybe that's not so bad. I know that I want to still look as good as I do today when I'm in my early forties, more than ten years from now, and still somehow gorgeous in my fifties, sixties and seventies. It's promising.

If you were to ask me any time during the last five seasons who my favorite boy from Sex and the City was, I would have said Big or Steve, if I was pissed off at Big. I really like Steve, as in I was soooo mad at Miranda lots of times for how she handled their relationship throughout the show and thought it was too easy for them to get back together after all the hoops she put him through, but I'm glad it ended the way it did. And Big is, well, Big. He's the man for Carrie, simple as that. But, that was any time during the last five seasons.

In the sixth season, they gave Samantha a boy she cannot push away - Smith Jerrod. I first liked him for his looks, now I definitely love him for the guy he turned out to be. He has such a beautiful heart, it's amazing! And he loves Samantha so unconditionally that he's willing to be patient and put up with all her qualms about relationships and appearances and, well, everything. He just wants to be with her and he wants to make her happy. Aaaaaaah. Plus he's great in bed. Had to put that in before I forget.

I never related to Samantha before - she was too over the top for me, no matter how supposedly sexually liberated I'm supposed to be, there's a big prude in me that won't even say certain words or like going down or sleep with any random men without a second thought. I'm not that sure of my sexiness that I would go seducing any guy I fancy, and even when I find out that I probably would be successful doing so, I end up with very conservative, very self-preservative feelings. So, even if she's the character that makes me laugh the most, I am not Samantha. Lots of times, I'm Carrie, sometimes I'm Miranda, less times than that I'm Charlotte, but never Samantha. And when I watch Kim Cattral do what she does best, I laugh and think "Fran would do that...(Fran is actually both Samantha and Charlotte, strange but true)" or "That is SOOOO Waya."

And then here was Samantha trying to resist being in a relationship with Smith Jerrod and I'm like, well, relating. And I love, I absolutely love how all her resistance isn't scaring him away, like how he waited for her even if she ran off with Richard, how he shaved his head when Samantha's hair was falling out, how he persisted in assuring her that he wanted to have sex only with her when she lost her sex drive.

I wasn't resisting as extremely as Samantha was, but I recognize the persistence and the succumbing. And I'm glad they gave Samantha someone to love her, and someone to love. Another promising thing for supposed hopeless cases like me.

1 comment:

joelle said...

and samantha was very unlikable pa, if i remember correctly. the samantha jones in the candace bushnell column wasn't nice kasi. i'm so glad at the evolution of her character. but i have no time to watch all six seasons in one sitting, eeeek!!!! baka someday soon!