Tuesday, January 11, 2005

we go all the way for veracity

I'm very excited about my thesis. In my class yesterday, I was made to realize the importance of finding a primary source of data, instead of secondary, like reading about the phenomenon in a book or in an encyclopedia and not witnessing it firsthand. Since I had thought of comparing the pas de deux to the couple dances in our folk and ethnic dances, I had only thought of looking at the folk dance groups who perform these dances (you know, tapes of the Bayanihan and the Ramon Obusan etc) and reading the folk dance transcriptions that are available. Then my teacher suggested it would be better if I went and saw the actual dances first hand.

Yes, she meant go to the actual tribe and wait for them to perform the dance for me. I never thought of that. I was then going to chuck the idea when she then suggested I could apply for a research grant for this, in return for a short monograph of my findings, and God knows the Philippines would like more hands-on research on their local dances. They would fund my going to the place and the publication of my monograph, assuming I budget correctly. And then I could use the findings in my thesis, which will be a bigger body of work.

Maybe I was just being defensive about my Research Professor's opinions on my thesis when I was justifying its importance too much and writing all sorts of surrounding explanations that weren't quite necessary in my problem proposal. She didn't see right away what it was that I wanted to say because I surrounded it with too much backstory. When she did finally get what it was that I wanted to do, she was more receptive to it and told me yesterday that she would like to work with me more on my topic. Was it Brother Mike who said, "Less talk, less mistake"? Ah, yes, there's a reason why the bastard's so rich.

I'm quite stoked to see where this is going. It's nice when the pursuit of higher knowledge agrees with you.

No comments: