Saturday, January 22, 2005

the story of a laptop

I was thinking the other day that I should give my laptop a name. Then, I couldn't think of one. I realize why, now. This may be the last time I blog on this laptop as I'm trading it in for Lucas' old (relatively) Hewlett Packard laptop that he isn't using anymore and sold to my mom so that he can buy his new (relatively) Mac i-book.

I actually didn't want to. First of all, I had grown accustomed to its face. I'm the type of person who gets really attached to things that belong to me. Like I can't understand why some of my friends sell their books (I'm still mourning my decision to give away my copy of the Iliad to a Quill booksale) and I nearly died when I lost my 7650 in the Supercat in Dumaguete. I like this laptop, I like how it feels under my fingers, I even like its sad lack of hinge. I love how it made me feel more optimistic about all the writing I had to do and how everything in it belonged only to me.

So why am I trading it in?

Lucas sold his old one to Mommy to get money to buy the new one. Mommy doesn't need a laptop but Lucas didn't want to sell the old one outside as it was a pretty good laptop and he had also grown attached to it. Now, nobody's using it. He told me to switch laptops as the other one is better and I was quite resistant. I slowly caved in, at first because the other one is smaller and not too bulky to carry around in my fabulous new laptop backpack.

And then, I thought, hmmmm, Photoshop. I can't do much on this laptop because it has only 1gb of memory and that was okay with me initially because all I thought of doing here was writing. But I thought I wanted to also be able to edit pictures and I have to go to another PC to do that.

Lucas' laptop is actually quite better than this one, except it doesn't have floppy and cd drives, I need external drives to transfer data. But it has a bigger hard drive and more memory and works better all around. And then the dealbreaker.

I was working on my next Better Business article, and thinking I was again crappy as a Better Business guru, and finished it and decided to submit it, never mind the consequences. And as soon as I was about to save the document, my laptop hung. I know, I should know by now to save my documents, right? I don't know why I didn't. Anyway, I thought, I'll be able to recover the document when I restart.

"Word cannot recover previous document, blah blah blah."

Perhaps it's fate. Telling me to get Lucas' HP already, knowing I needed a really drastic event to push me towards that. Telling me that I'll write a better article tomorrow after I've given it more thought. That I should learn more lessons today than I do in a week.

We shall see. I kiss this Acer TravelMate goodbye for now. I shall definitely miss you.

No comments: