Friday, September 24, 2004

boys, men, dorks and great loves

"This is my problem. I only see men the way I want to see them."- Amelia Warren, played by Catherine Zeta Jones, in The Terminal

I'm starting a writing exercise, inspired by a meme I found on a friend's blog. It's not a similar meme, as the point of those is you have to get other people writing along with you, while mine is just for myself. Instead of writing about the deserted wasteland that is currently my life (which I'm embarrassingly doing a lot of recently), I will write short passages about boys, men, dorks, great loves, the ones who made me laugh and the ones who broke my heart. I'll write about one man/one moment per day, and they will be distinguishable from the rest of my blog as they will be in a different font style and color.

So, what brought this on? Well, it's the breakdown of my last relationship, leading to thoughts about every relationship and strange involvement I've had the last thirty years. Well, not really the last thirty years, perhaps just fifteen or so, when they started becoming interesting. It's also conversations I've been having this past week. And also seeing High Fidelity again and watching John Cusack ask, "Am I doomed to be rejected? Why do I get dumped?"

I've been having different feelings about this particular subject as of late. Sometimes, I'm having moments where this big L is stuck on my forehead. I was thinking if my longest, most significant, was-really-gonna-marry-this-one relationship was a wishy washy one, there must be something seriously wrong with me. I was also thinking that if I liked more the people I didn't have real relationships with as compared to those that I did (no, May, I didn't mean you), then, again, there must be something really seriously wrong with me. On a different note, I'm starting to think I'm not that big a loser after all. I have all these nice stories.

By the way, in case any of you would like to read about a certain person - in my life, of course - please make your requests in my comments box or text me. I'm just going randomly here, may even write about same guy more than once. And, ahem, being bullied about d'original lab tims may not work in this blog. Hehe.

When something happens to me that's worth blogging about, I'll let you know. In the meantime, enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a good idea, what better way to celebrate/purge your great loves or your great dorks than through your art? I've been planning on doing the same thing, except through large, 4x4 canvases. Haha, we could probably publish a fully illustrated book--called, er, "Great Loves, Great Dorks"

Lala

joelle said...

i would love another book collaboration with you, la! just like old times. that would be a great book, bestseller yon, hahaha :)