Wednesday, September 22, 2004

passion and randomness

I just saw 50 First Dates and was very very very taken by the little Penguin Willy. It was such a cutie pie. It reminded me of my friend Trixie, whose favorite animal is the penguin and believes she can have one as a pet. After seeing this movie, I'm thinking, well, as long as you keep a lot of ice in the bathroom, then, I want one too.

I told her over SMS about the penguin, and it turns out that she hasn't seen the movie yet, either, but now that I told her the penguin was in it, she vows to see it right away. And then, she said, "Will I be hearing 'Hi Penguin!' again soon?"

That's what I say to her when I see her, "Hi, Penguin!" She calls me Pigeon. She's of course actually asking if I'll be back anytime soon. That's not up to me, of course, that's up to a certain person resigning and up to whether or not they want us back at all.

This in turn made me think how it's such a bad time to be an artist, especially in this country. Quincy says it's terrible everywhere, and although everywhere to him is basically Orange County, I'm inclined to agree with him. But I believe it's really bad here. The President just gave this imposition that government offices cannot spend any money on the arts and artistic events unless it's connected to a school. There goes a lot of our money, right there.

During one of our ultra long conversations about our dancing in this country, Daddy makes this very valid point: who are you dancing for anyway?

It reminds me of a time in college when I believed that I could change the status of Dance in this country, make it something people wanted to go see, and it was to be my life's goal. I was so passionate, then. Understandable, of course, because I was so young. These days, I'm just shaking my head. I'm just waiting around at home and gushing over the little penguin in 50 First Dates.

No comments: