Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Joelle may not reply because she is Idle On The Phone Busy

I like Yahoo messenger more than MSN messenger - the former has definitely cuter emoticons that, get this, move. Like if you type out :)), you get the blinking emoticon, who actually bats her extra long eyelashes at you. And that's only one of my favorite ones. I would probably only use Yahoo Messenger, but three of my bestest friends in the world use MSN messenger (in fact, they're the only people in my MSN contacts list), so I got that too and even consider it more important.

I was in a very long conversation with my best friend from college. I was mad at her quite a while back, but I got over myself, because hello. Not even worth discussing, just call me enlightened and contrite. This best friend and I used to read each other so well that we went around believing we were kindred spirits. We were even starting to look alike. Then, over the years, we had grown up into quite different people and somehow, that used to make me feel sad and disappointed. These days, I'm thinking we're lucky to have really good people to have as friends. It wouldn't kill me to stop being such a dork, right?

Anyway, we were leisurely discussing stuff and making emoticons at each other (though, those emoticons would have been more fun and funny if they were moving) and I show her a photo of me in costume as a geisha for Madama Butterfly. We already had a prior conversation (again on MSN Messenger) where I told her about this ballet being staged, what I liked about it, did it bug her that the singers were in the orchestra pit? She's a soprano, you see, and will one day wow the world. She tells me it didn't bug her; we should be thankful that there's live music at all.

I was thinking, just last Monday, how cool it would be if Marga was here in the country (she's in Dallas, at first to get her MA, now she's graduated and exploring her options), they could hire her to sing Butterfly. The last time I danced in something with a live orchestra, they had hired a soprano and tenor I knew from college, whom I only knew through Marga. So it shouldn't be such a far off stretch for Marga to be singing for us, if ever there was a chance. I was just thinking how cool that would be. And then I completely forget that I thought that.

So we're talking and she suddenly blurts an expletive and announces this realization: were she in the country, she could probably be the one singing for our production. It's moments like these that make me think we may have grown up away from each other but our spirits remain kindred, regardless.

She's suggesting perhaps one day, she'll still be given a chance to sing for a future staging. And maybe then, I could be dancing Butterfly. Although I seriously doubt it's gonna happen, I have to admit that that would be so cool.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great, make me sound conceited! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Argh! I keep forgetting to sign these posts!

The first one was me,

Marga

joelle said...

ha. who else could it have been. guess what, though, i'm not dancing anymore. :(

Anonymous said...

oh no! huway?