Monday, September 06, 2004

you're the best man I know

One reason why I'm not dying the last few days (asides from the fact that the events resulting from our disappearance have actually strengthened the reasons for leaving) is I got a reply email from my thesis adviser, Sir Patrick, last Friday. I had sent him the concept paper for my thesis and apologized profusely for not being able to enroll this sem - I was supposed to be in his Research class, which is all I have left to do, besides the thesis. He wrote me back that there might be a glitch in his being my thesis adviser because they had just assigned him to the National Museum (I swear, I love that he is such an important guy) and UP may not allow him to be my thesis adviser because he has to be full time employed. I have to ask the Department their stand on this; if there's going to be a problem, I have to look for someone new. But I liked what he said before he told me about this glitch: I am committed to you.

It's inspiring because he really does want to work on my thesis and believes it will turn out great. Well, interesting, at the very least. I'm thinking, he could have said anything else to humor me about being my thesis adviser but he used the word "committed." It's enough for me to start going and going and going until it's ready to submit.

Honestly, I hadn't been working on my thesis as religiously as I would have wanted. I would bookmark relevant articles online when I surf for Angel Corella reviews, but not much else. I was trying to finish that concept paper, which I believe is the hardest thing. It was trying to determine what I was really trying to say and what I needed to discover while writing my thesis, I had to get those thoughts to form a coherent whole so that they wouldn't be just my muddled thoughts (I really want Sir Patrick on board with me because he helped me organize my muddled thoughts; the very idea of his not being there advising me was really imperceivable). I realized once I had lain them out with a clear path of where these thoughts were going, and assigned specific ideas to the correct sections and not repeating myself over and over (like how I separated Evolution from History, hello), writing out the long version would be a piece of cake.

I'm supposed to propose that Ballet is important in the Philippines, even if it's not a local dance form, because it can be used as a measure of the nation's progressivity; the defining marker of my thesis is the pas de deux because number one, it's the most important part of the ballet as it's usually its climax, and number two, Filipinos can always relate to two people dancing together and Philippine folk dance has its own version of the pas de deux in its dances, also usually its highlight. Sir Patrick came up with the title, Performing the Pas De Deux: Translations of Ballet in Philippine Dance.

I have to write a letter of request asking that he be retained as my thesis adviser. I hope they grant me this request. Finding a good man is hard enough; getting him to commit is already priceless.

No comments: